EIM: Connecting Europe Facility 2021-2027
On 6th June, the European Commission presented its proposal for the Connecting Europe Facility Regulation as part of the next Multiannual Financial Framework for the period of 2021-2027. The proposal foresees €12.8 billion for the general CEF Transport envelope, €11.3 billion for the contribution from the Cohesion Fund, and €6.5 billion for the military mobility.
EIM – the Association representing rail infrastructure managers in Europe – welcomes the Commission’s proposal but acknowledges that there is still a long way ahead to tackle the challenges of the railway sector. Their needs are substantially increasing every year therefore a stronger transport budget is essential to complete the TEN-T Network. In particular, the proposal does not envisage enough budget for the ERTMS deployment, critical for the interoperability and safety but also for the rail competitiveness.
EIM welcomes the 60% of dedicated CEF Transport on “efficient and interconnected networks” and the remaining 40% on “smart, sustainable, inclusive, safe and secure mobility”, being in line with the rail sector’s priorities. In addition, EIM has a positive view on the new aspect of the CEF budget which will be used for the support of the dual military-civilian use of infrastructure.
Monika Heiming, EIM’s Executive Director, said: “Transport is the backbone of the European economy and CEF is a crucial tool that helps us deliver the sector’s objectives. By strengthening CEF and completing the TEN-T Network, we can meet customers’ expectations and have a truly Single European Railway Area.”